Sunday, April 13, 2008

STARK REALITY

As I sit enchanted with my eyes fixed on the television screen, watching the latest tragedy that strikes one of the characters in one of the most watched prime time soap opera, I can’t help but chuckle gleefully. “Another one bites the dust”, I think. “Serves him right”, I mutter under my breath. Yes; tragedies enthrall me… I derive perverse pleasure from the non-sensical, yet satiating pain that man bestows to the other of his kind….

Sadist though I may sound, yet I am no different from you.; you, who consider yourself an epitome of rectitude and all that is or is supposedly right with mankind. I am a voyeur……just like you .I have my fetishes; just like you. The only thing separates you from me is that I can accept my follies as a human being; you however would not; for the fear of being showing to the world what you truly are.

I am not being harsh on you. I have no intention of publicly humiliating you. I only want to tell you that humanity is truly, and in all essence nothing but a giant mass of voyeurs, sadists and vengeful creatures. Hidden beneath your mask of uprightness there is a lurking voyeur which takes control of you when you try to peep into the lives of others; when you derive happiness from the pain of others. This voyeur is your identity when you discuss the latest grapevine; when you nose around to find what your neighbor is up to; and yes, even when you watch those idiotic soap operas. You live vicariously through the lives of others; enjoying pain, depravity and life itself.

I have not seen vampires, nor have I seen a carnivore tear apart its prey, but I have seen human beings. We are a species that enjoys tragedies like no other species. Tragedies are to human beings what blood is to vampires. We all feed on them; part voyeurs, part vampires, part carnivores; we are homo sapiens. It would be credulous on your part to believe that there are angels in the hearts of men; our world has always been a man eat man world; it is hostile and at times impersonal and impossible. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was one and the same person; the good and the bad intertwined into one. Like the colour grey; mix of black and white. The world is so colourful yet the only colour that describes us humans is grey…. .reality is always grim.

Don’t run from yourself; don’t hide yourself from the world. Your brethren are also humans who are just like you. Accept your design, for you are what you are; VOYEUR, VAMPIRE, CARNIVORE, PERVERT, AND ABOVE ALL, HUMAN…………

8 comments:

ABHi said...

am in no habbit of posting comments on any blogs, whatsoever, but certainly urs deserves to be an exception.
Ur elan of wrtitng is most commendable.
abhishek

muddy said...

umm, which soap opera would you be referring to?

Divita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divita said...

well i wouldnt use the word pleasure, but yes one does loosen up from his/her own worries when he/she confronts another worried soul. and i would attribute this to a relief that rescues one's tense heart on seeing another human sailing in the same boat as his/hers - the boat of tragedies. look at it this way - a dark room would become more amiable if the animated shadows lurking behind the doors would only reveal a trustworthy human being.

but if i come to think of it, human beings ARE voyeurs...er...now dont take that seriously!

anyways, well written i must commend.

Chronicler said...

i agree hands down... we are all a bunch of peeping toms... sadistic to the core...

Punvati said...

True... we take pleasure in other's miseries, we crave to know of others lives... never thought of it that way... voyeurs and sadists.. very well put.. well written i must say...

Arthur Dent said...

@ muddy: kyunki turtle bhi kabhi cheeta tha!!

Arthur Dent said...

@divita: i know u r an optimist!!